Friday, August 15, 2008

'The Storm' Recount Writing

On Wednesday 30th July 2008, Nelson was hit by a storm.It raged all around our district causing lots of damage to land,trees and houses.
Our school suffered some damage too and we helped to clean up the debris the next day.


This is 4.00pm on Wednesday in our school playground!


We went out the next morning to help clear up the debris!



We have written about our experiences of 'The Storm'.
It looked strong, hard and scary.
It felt exciting.
It sounded like people screaming.

By Tyrone
31.07.08

Yesterday the whole of Nelson had a hurricane. Three trees have fallen over at my place. When I got home from school in the car I couldn't open the door because the wind was so strong. When the wind calmed down my sister and I went outside and leaned into the wind. We have a weather station where we can sensor the winds speed. The highest gust was recorded at 139km/h. The whole house was shaking. It may sound like I'm exaggerating but I'm not!!. My Dad is an Aborist so he was out busy cutting down trees till 8.30pm on my birthday.

By Hazel
31.07.08

Yesterday there was a wild storm. Branches were flying everywhere. Nana came to pick us up before 3 o-clock in case the storm got worse. When we got to my Nana's house it was shaking and the power went off. I could see so many branches and leaves flying past outside. Suddenly my Nana's next-door neighbours fence fell down and was putting pressure on her fence. When Mum and Cameron came home I had to boil water on the fireplace. Mum asked where Nana was; I said she was outside fixing her fence. Mum and Cameron headed outside, I followed her to see if she needed anything but she told me to go back. When I was heading back to the house I almost tripped over the dog. When I got inside the house it was still shaking. Aftre ten minutes I started crying because I was worried my rabbit Buck would die outside. Mum said that she would go and put Buck inside and that made me feel much better. When Mum returned she said the trampoline had almost flown away in the wind. We had fish'n'chips for dinner and spent the night at Nana's.

By Jazzmein
31.07.08

Yesterday there was a storm. It was really windy and the wind speed was recorded at 156km/h. It was so bad that it made a tree split in half outside the school!. As my Mum was on her way to pick me up from school the wind pushed her car forward four feet. When we got home a tree from our garden had got airborne and ripped through the neighbours fence.
And don't start me on the rain; the rain was so bad up North most places flooded.

By Matthew
31.07.08


Yesterday a BIG storm came and smashed my hut. We got a big plant that flew over our fence from the intermediate but it still smashed my hut!
The storm ripped out lots of trees but it still smashed my hut!!
It sent birds flying into windows and walls, but it still smashed my hut!!

By Rhys
31.07.08

Yesterday a huge storm hit Nelson; it was so savage that two parts of the Westpac Bank came off the wall. I saw a tree by Nelson Central School fall down on someone's car bonnet. Along Nile Street a tree fell across the roof of a van. When dad and I were driving a little bird flew into the windscreen of the car in front. Ha ha little birdie!!

By Ira
31.07.08


Yesterday there was a massive storm. I stayed home all day and we lost our power for 8 hours. Three power lines had fallen on the road, we used candles and my Dad bought out some torches. Lots of our neighbour's trees had been demolished. We had to boil our water on the fire. I played on my game boy most of the time. We had no damage to our house at all. It was pretty cool and fun I thought.

By Joseph
31.07.08


Yesterday we had a big storm in Nelson. Branches were flying everywhere. When Mum came to pick me up Jake and I, the rain was raining so hard it hurt my face. When we were nearly home I said,
"Yes nothing has happened to our house."
But when we pulled up at our house a big tree by the neighbour's fence had fallen down. It had smashed their fence in the wild weather.

By Toni-Louise
31.07.08


Yesterday Nelson was hit by a wild storm. The school was ripped up, trees had fallen down everywhere. We walked around the school and could see bits of trees everywhere.
As Mum and I were driving up Mari Road we had to dodge a huge tree on the road. As we got out of the car we could not control ourselves the wind was blowing so hard. I went outside when I thought it was calm suddenly a big gust of wind came flying at me. I had to hold onto the door which was slamming shut. I quickly went back inside and didn't dare to go outside again.

By Charlotte
31.07.08








No comments: